Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Night Twitter

So, I signed up for twitter about a week or so ago. Mostly it was having both Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson on there that drove me to do it.

Anyway, last night I was sitting there watching the beginning of the Oscars when it occurred to me that I could keep a running monologue of my thoughts on the show. I checked Roger Ebert (who I am following) and he was doing it, and I decided to jump in and tweet my take on the show. So I missed the opening number, but I did start with the first award. A few commercials in, I decided to add my "Commercial Break Commentary" where I'd just comment on anything about the show so far.

Here are all my tweets from the Oscars, in one nice package with a couple typos corrected. I also slipped in two tweets from Ebert, which I replied to.

5:30 - Twittering during the Oscars...lets how this goes

5:48-Christophe Waltz wins, and the night is off to a great start.

5:52-Ryan Reynolds on stage. That's the closest he's ever going to get to an Oscar. (That's okay Ryan, you're Deadpool. You're awesome anyway.)

6:08-Up winning best animated picture? What a shock. If I was nominated against them, I probably wouldn't even go to the show.

6:09-I stood up and danced when 'The Weary Kind' won. That movie is full of some amazing music. That win was definitely deserved.

6:14- Man, I love Robert Downey Jr. In a totally Hetero way...

6:16-And the Hurt Locker wins it's first award (Screenplay). Let this streak continue...

6:20-John Hughes tribute. I still can't believe he's gone. I was born too late for his 80s heyday, but Home Alone was a big part of my Childhood.

6:33-Isn't it weird that all but 1 of the 'Best Short" nominees was computer animated? What happened to Mr. Lasseter's "The tools don't matter"?

6:35-What the hell...Is this a Kanye West moment? The dude won, and then some woman walked on stage unannounced and started talking over him.

6:38-Ben Stiller...Funny? We are seeing something we haven't seen in almost a decade.

6:43-Not surprised Star Trek won. I mean, the Young Victoria was pretty just wigs and basic makeup.

6:46-Commercial Break Commentary: I am still really surprised to see D-9 nominated for best picture. I loved it, but it just isn't a Oscar film.

6:55-When Lauren Bacall came on screen, my dad turned to me and said, "I thought she was dead."

6:56- I knew Precious would win best adapted screen play.

Roger Ebert - Lauren Bacall and Roger Corman win Governor's Award, stand up, applauded, sit down. Let them SAY SOMETHING.

6:58-@ebertchicago But that is the opposite of the academy's recent objective...streamlining the show. I'm not sure I like it either.

7:00-I called it. No one but Mo'nique could have won that.

7:03-Commercial Break Commentary: Really? The academy is going to honor horror films? The genre they tend to ignore completely? I can't wait.

7:07-What sets were in Avatar? Green and Blue screens?

7:10-Martin and Baldwin say something about horses and then Sarah Jessica Parker comes out...that's about right.

7:14-Commercial Break Commentary: OMIGOD GUIZ, JACOB AND BELLA ARE GONNA BE ON!!!1! Seriously, where's that horror thing they mentioned earlier?

7:19-Why are the stars of New Moon talking about horror? Their movie was far from it. Also, I don't care what anyone says, Kristen Stewart is hot

7:21-I was expecting this to be just the 'respectable horror' (Jaws, Psycho, Shining). I'm surprised to see Freddy, Jason, Chucky and Leprechaun.

7:27-Very pleasantly surprised with Hurt Locker winning sound editing & Mixing. I would have picked Star Trek, myself. 'Locker deserved it though

7:28-My god Elizabeth Banks looks good...

7:30-John Travolta would be cooler if he introduced Inglourious Basterds in full Terl makeup.

7:36- Avatar wins cinematography. Not much of a shock.

7:37-Man, is that Cameron's wife next to him? Bet he wishes he was still with Kathryn Bigelow.

7:39-In Memoriam...They better put in Don LaFontaine. I can't believe the forgot him last year.

7:42-Commercial Break Commentary: That was actually very touching. Adding the great James Taylor, singing one of my favorite Beatles songs.

7:46-Hennifa Lopez's dress looks like someone just wrapped her in bubble wrap.

7:47-So they cut out (even abbreviated) best song performances, but we have a drawn out interpretive dance segment for the scores.

7:49-Man, this dude's doing the robot. LOL

7:55-I am tweeting this before the Visual Effects winner is even announced. Congratulations Avatar.

8:01-Commercial Break Commentary: Marissa Tomei doing some food webseries...umm...Well, she was great in The Wrestler.

8:06-Ray Vecchio from Due South...Oscar winner? Wow. That was surprising.

8:09-Hurt Locker again, this time for editing. These people started out editing for Sam Raimi, so you know they're talented editors.

8:10- Keanu Reeves presenting. This is probably the only way he'll ever get on an Oscar stage.

8:26-I hate how they've turned the leading actor/actress categories into a bunch of patting each other on the back. Just give the award.

8:34-Finally Jeff Bridges wins. This man deserves it. I can't believe they've passed on giving it to him so many times before.

8:36-Wow, maybe Jeff brought more of himself to 'The Dude' than I thought. I'm seeing shades of Lebowski in this speech, man.

8:38-Coming up, Best Actress. It will be complete bollocks if Bullock wins.

8:49-No no no no no!!! I'm being punk'd

8:51-My head is reeling. Bullock is 1/5th the actress of Streep and Mirren.

8:55-Her performance in generic feel good sports movie #1523489 was award caliber?

8:56-Seeing Jesse James on the verge of tears was interesting though.

8:56-Bigelow wins!!! I wonder how her Ex-Feels. Suck on it Cameron. Go make True Lies 2. (Please.)

8:58- I am woman, hear me roar? Really Oscar orchestra?

8:59-The Hurt Locker! The Hurt Locker! Bah God King, Ring the damn bell!

Roger Ebert - Guys half drunk, watching at home: "That Kathryn Bigelow is a fine woman."

9:04-@ebertchicago I'm not drunk at all and I'm thinking that...

9:06-Good show everybody! (Except for Bullock's win.) Good night!
That's it for now. I'll be back with some more stuff later.

No comments:

Post a Comment